Sizzling Starts Narrative Writing Leads, Hooks, Introduction Paragraphs
This resource will help your students write a narrative’s exposition, orientation, lead, or Introduction Paragraph.
Writing lessons scaffold the writing of sizzling starts.
The Backfill and the Get Back techniques conclude the writing of the exposition.
In addition, the graphic organizers, checklist, integration of technology (QR codes), and writing activities involving a short animated movie will facilitate your students to write their impressive openers.
- This resource includes both US and British English spellings.
The unit is divided into three sections.
SECTION 1: Sizzling Starts
- Cover Sheet x 2 (if compiling pages into a booklet)
- sample sizzling starts sheets for students to identify and analyze
- sample sizzling starts sheets for students to identify (QR Code Option)
- sizzling starts sheets for students to write
- Written samples are provided to demonstrate the writing of each sizzling start.
- Students will then write their own sizzling starts after identifying the different openers and analyzing the written samples.
- They will watch the short animated movie and write on the scene using each of the five main types of sizzling starts.
SECTION 2: Backfill and Get Back
- writing samples showing the techniques of Backfill and Get Back
- matching each start to its backfill (sheet)
- matching each start to its backfill (puzzle option)
- writing the Get Back for prompts featuring the starts and backfills
- Students will color code the sizzling start, backfill, and get back in written samples.
- They will match a Backfill to its Sizzling Start and write the Get Back to conclude the exposition.
SECTION 3: Writing the Exposition
- Wh- questions graphic organizers x 3
- Story ideas graphic organizers x 6
- Writing prompts sheets x 12 (QR Code option included)
- Writing the Exposition Checklist x 1
- Students will answer wh-questions to analyze sample expositions.
- They will use the wh- questions graphic organizers to plan their expositions for given visual prompts.
- They will use the Expositions Checklist as they write the sizzling start, backfill, and get back for each exposition.
* Teacher Key included for all sections.
Thank you for visiting Teach2Tell.
Please contact me with any queries regarding this resource.